Saturday, October 27, 2012

Cards, Life and Computers

These are some Christmas cards in my Etsy Shop. I deleted them from my store as they were selling separately. I then put them back into my store as a set of 11 cards for $23 + postage and shipping. That's about $2.10 a card. A nice deal for an array of pretty cards. If they do not sell after this season they will not go back into my store and I probably will use them next year to send out to friends and family. You can only try to sell for so long and then comes a point that you just have to give them away to whom ever. Oh well, that is life, I was never a good seller of my crafts.

When I was still young and looking for direction in my life and what I wanted to do when I grew up. My dream was to become a graphic artist. I loved drawing and painting and majored in art all four years in High School. BUT my stepfather said, "you will starve before you make it as a graphic artist" So, I went into Hair Design.........he didn't like that either. I never could please the man and still can't. I am not sure what he wanted me to do. I know my mother wanted me to go into the Airlines, or work for the telephone company. But these things were not what I wanted to do. It wasn't till after the fact, that my mother said if I had kept up with my art work.....Pops would have sent me to the Art Institute in Chicago.
"Why, did they not tell me that earlier??" Things might have been different for me.
Oh well, such is life in the big city and the little hamlet.

So, I put myself through beauty school and went on to become a hairdresser that lasted for 18 years. I loved doing haircuts and sets, designing hair, coloring and perming. Worked in some really good shops working with some fun people. The ladies that followed me from shop to shop were really nice and tipped very well. Those were some good years from 1966-1984, working in 9 different shops for 9 different bosses. I learned a lot of different techniques and styles. Some shops were fun and laid back and some were tuff and strict, but learn I did and enjoyed what I did.

Hairdressing is a form of Art and that is probably why I enjoyed it.....but then I left that profession becoming a Secretary and jack of all trades, wearing many hats to satisfy those around me. JP and I got involved with the Salvation Army, I for 14 years and JP for 12 years. Those were some fun and chaotic years, again I learned a lot.

So here I am today, retired and still looking for my nitch in life and back to graphic arts and making cards. ART has always been a part of my life and maybe it has been my life-saver, keeping me sane all these years. My goodness how in the world did I get off on all the above info????

Computer: FINALLY got my computer fixed. the cost??? $63.12 for more memory and $41.99 for instilation. $105.11 to get it running properly with less stress. Guess that is okay as I will get another couple of years out of this machine. It is working really well right now. Joe said for the age of my machine is was pretty clean but ran slow because it needed more memory. I did alot of preventative maintenance, cleaning cookies, defragging, PC registry cleaning and Mr. Norton doing his thing every day.

My next step towards a new lap-top will be to 1) get a wireless router.....2) a new printer for the lap-top....3) the lap-top. These 3 steps will not drain me financially. Joe said to buy everything right away will cost close to $1000, this way doing it step by step will alleviate financial stress. While still doing all this I still have a computer THAT WORKS!!! Windows XP will be obsolete by the end of this year and I will not be able to get it fixed at Office Depot. So I guess I got in at the wire. Joe also said that my computer is 10 years old and is going on 5th generation now. XP, Vista, Windows 7 and now Windows 8 - did I miss a generation????? (will have to google this and find out for sure).

Well, I guess it is time to close this blog, sort of rambled on a bit today, maybe because this computer is working and I am not having to wait for it to do it's thingie, it has been a pleasure to do this blog today. So you all have a great day and keep looking up for your redemption draws nigh.
Cheers ~ Louise

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails