Friday, November 22, 2019

Saturday's

 Hi there everyone, been awhile since I last posted. 18 days to be exact....where does time go???? Don't you just love Saturday's?
I do, sometimes I wish everyday was Saturday, but then again, maybe not, probably would get tired of Saturday's.
Been busy this month....my birthday month. I am now legally 73 yrs old. How did that happen???? My mind still says I am maybe about 37 years old, but the body is not agreeing with my mind....lol.

Had a Doctor's appointment this past week. An annual check-up and blood tests. My A1C was 6.2..yay for that, Doctor cut my diabetes pills down, this is good, maybe someday I won't have to take any pills for diabetes. My Vitamin B-12 was a bit high, so instead of 1000g, down to 500g....okay, I can do that. Cholesterol was a bit high, so he wants me to work on my diet (so tired of dieting), and do a little bit more exercises. I guess I can do that. I miss my dog Kylie, cause we took walks everyday, she kept me busy everyday...since she has been gone, don't go for walks around the block any more. (Cute dog up above, sweet.) This house is so quiet without her too. 

Had to get my driver's licence renewed...that was sort of scary for me. Don't know why, but I just was not looking forward to that experience at all. $34.00 later, I was walking out the door an hour later....whew!!

Still working on the cookbook, been typing recipes into the Fundcraft program. We are at 135 recipes, working towards 200 recipes. We don't have far to go. Then, I need to organize the recipes and put them in the right dividers. We were trying for December to finish, but found out we had to be done collecting by the 15th of this month. We are going to try for January and hopefully have the cookbooks done by February. We'll see how that goes.

I thought I would add one of the recipes I entered into the cookbook. I actually made this tonight and it was REALLY GOOD!! It is called;
"One-Pot Spaghetti Dinner"
1 lb. lean ground beef(90% lean)
1 3/4 c. sliced fresh mushrooms(I used canned)
3 c. tomato juice
1 can(14 1/2oz)no salt-diced tomatoes 
1 can(8oz.)no salt-tomato sauce
1 Tbsp. dried minced onion
1/2 tsp. salt(optional)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. ground mustard
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. ground allspice
1/8 tsp. ground mase(optional)(I had no mase)
6 oz. uncooked multi-grain spaghetti-broken in pieces
Fresh mozzarella cheese, shredded
Parmesan cheese(optional)

1) In a dutch oven, or big pot, cook beef and mushrooms over medium heat and meat is no longer pink; drain if needed. Add tomato juice(I added the whole can), tomatoes, tomato sauce, dried onion, and seasonings.
2) Bring to a boil. Stir in the spaghetti. Simmer, covered 12-15 minutes or until the spaghetti is tender. If desired, serve with cheese on top.

Been busy watching my Hockey games. My Chicago Blackhawks are not doing that great right now...but I have high hopes. There is still 5 more months to play in the regular season and then the Stanley Cup Play-offs that will last till June. So there is still plenty of time for them to make it for the play-offs. I will let you know how they do.

Well, time to close, did not mean for this to be so long.....but, I get a little bit wordy sometimes. You all have a great week-end and keep looking up, better days are coming. Cheers ~ Louise 

6 comments:

Brenda in IN said...

Spaghetti is one of my favorites so I will try this. Sounds so easy and all in one pan. I do love that. Happy birthday to you even if a bit late. I thought maybe you had a new puppy when I saw that cute picture. It is so hard to lose a pet that had become part of your family. Maybe you could take a different route and walk in her memory and do some good for yourself too. Have a nice Thanksgiving, Louise.

Evelyn Mayfield said...

Love your posts. On the cholesterol, I gave up on actual dieting so I found foods I liked from a list of foods that lower cholesterol and started bringing them into my routine, and I'll list them further in this comment. I concentrated on foods I actually like. So I dumped all cereals except whole grain oat based, and I only eat Cheerios regular or Oat Squares (generic from Smiths because they are expensive) and regular oat meal (not instant or quick). And I dumped Miracle whip and Mayo and began using mashed avocado in tuna salad, salmon (from cans on sale at Walgreens) salad, egg salad, and carrot/raisin/avocado. It gives that creamy texture and makes the salad a tad darker but still tasty enough for me. As for beans, I often puree a can of black beans and put into a peanut butter jar and add it to things instead of using flour, as a thickening. Here are the ones that lower cholesterol - artichokes, avocados, beans, cantaloupe, chestnuts, figs, garlic, mushrooms, oats, onions, peanuts, prunes, tomatoes, walnuts, watermelon, yogurt. Of these the top four are artichoke, garlic, nuts and beans. I also buy walnuts bulk at Sprouts and I toss walnuts and peanuts into my hot oatmeal. And I toss canned mushrooms pieces into omelets. Anyhow, didn't mean to fill up your comment box, but hope even one of these foods will help... Hugs.

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

And I loved your comment. You've not taken up a lot of comment space. I very seldom get comments so sometimes I am surprised when I do get a few. Thanks for all the info. I am liking some of the things on the list, some of the things I have been eating and are a part of my diet all ready. At least I know I am pretty much on track. Except when I get tempted by potato chips (anything potato, I like) Well, I have 6 months to change a few things. See how I do.
Thanks for stopping by.

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Hi Brenda, thanks for stopping by. No, no new puppy's yet, hopefully in the spring. That was a good idea, just walking the block in memory of Kylie, never occurred to me. I really enjoyed that spaghetti dish. It get's thicker the longer you cook it....I did add a can of mushrooms to the dish too. Have a nice Thanksgiving to you too.

Evelyn Mayfield said...

The thing I like about pulling in some of the "good" foods is that I feel less guilty about the things I end up eating anyway - LOL - it sort of helps offset our bad cravings - LOL - I also make sure to have tuna and/or salmon a few times a week - healthier than taking Omega 3 pills, more beneficial if it's in real food... I don't always succeed in all of these, but it has become so natural and easy for me now that I've worked some things and some recipes out, that it's keeping my labs from skyrocketing... I like making my Doc smile at my checkups!

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Hi Evelyn, thanks for coming back. Was reading your blog....gosh I have had days where little things get on my nerves too...maybe it's age, maybe satan, maybe even God testing us in different situations. I don't know, never was good at tests. Age seems to get harder as we get older, and little things cause much stress through out the day.

I think you are doing pretty good doing the things you do. Hope when I reach 75,76,77) I am active like you. Shall have to work on that, guess it all starts with diet and taking care of our self.

Like tuna and often think I should have a can, can't eat it plan....needs mayo mixed in it. Salmon, I can pass on that. I have gotten lots of beans and rice at the pantry, must think of something to do with it all.

Have a wonderful thanksgiving, looks like you will be eating well. I bought a Rotisserie chicken, I will make dressing, sweet potato fries, cucumber salad, gravy and green bean casserole. I think for 2 people that's enough. If I think about it, maybe an impossible pumpkin pie. NOW I AM TIRED ALREADY....lol!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails