Wednesday, June 14, 2017

MAN!!!! These Beans Were GOOD!!!

Hi there everyone. Hope you are having a good day. We had a storm go through a couple of hours ago....tornado warnings...time to go hide in the basement. Guess it was pretty bad all around us. A roof few off one of the buildings on College Ave. with lots of debris on the street. 60-70 mph winds. Lots of trees were up-rooted and blown down. Will have to watch the news tonight to see which building, it was a warehouse. College Ave is the business area of Appleton....with lots of tall buildings many bars and restaurants. I very seldom go shopping there. Not even sure there are stores to shop anymore.
Last night I made "No Soak Pressure Cooker Baked Beans" Guys......these were the best beans I have ever made!!! And boy did they do a good job with the creation of gaseous emissions. I am sure I added to the "Climate Change!!"

If you have a "Pressure Cooker XL" or any other one of those cookers that cooks with pressure....this is the recipe for you. I wanted to make beans....but every recipe I found, the beans had to soak over night. I just knew there had to be a recipe that I could use without having to soak the beans. So up popped this recipe.

2 cup pinto beans (I used 3 cups Navy beans)
4 cups water (6 cups water)
1 cup diced onion
4 strips bacon, chopped
1 can 16oz diced tomatoes
1/2 cup brown sugar (not packed)
1/4 cup HONEY - SORRY forgot to add this ingred.
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. prepared mustard
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
salt to taste
2 cups chicken stock

I left out: 1-6oz can tomato paste, 1 Tbsp molasses, 1 Tbsp distilled white vinegar and 1tsp salt. Only because I had no molasses or white vinegar.

I shall be adding baking soda to this mixture, maybe that will stop the gaseous emissions...lol!

Rinse beans and place in pressure cooker with 6 cups water and 1 Tbsp. salt. Cover and lock in place, closing steam vent. Press the bean selection and set timer for 30 minutes. While the beans are cooking mix the sauce together except the bacon and onions. Set the sauce aside.

When the beans are done, release the steam and remove the beans, strain and discard the liquid. Set the beans aside, they should be soft. If not, the next 30 minutes will soften them.

In the cooking pot, over the stove, I sauteed the bacon until slightly browned then added the chopped onions and sauteed for 2-3 minutes. Added the combined ingredients and the beans to the pot and stirred well. At this point, I added two cubes of frozen tomato paste.

Replace the lid and lock, close the steam vent and press the beans option and adjust the timer for 30 minutes. When the timer goes off, carefully release the steam, remove the lid, stir and serve. You can leave the beans in the pressure cooker on the keep warm mode to allow the sauce to thicken for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Enjoy.....I did freeze a container for later use. Best beans I ever made, just wish they agreed with me a bit more.
Thought I would add a picture of today's storm. It was really raining hard here. There were high winds and the sirens were blowing. According to the news reports, there were trees going down all over Appleton.

We had the car in yesterday to get fixed. Exhaust was getting a bit loud and the air conditioner was not working. This year I decided it was going to get fixed....not going through another warm summer without the air. So it was $514.00 to get fixed. I should get that paid off by Sept. then we need to get a new battery and 2 new tires before winter.

I might be going to a "Garden Walk" on Saturday, it will cost $10 and one canned food item. Not sure yet, as it depends on the weather mostly. We will see when the time comes. I am still working on our yard....still want to get some cucumber plants and of course there are still lots of weeds to pull....never ending is it???

Well time to close here....have a good night and keep looking up, better days are coming. Cheers ~ Louise

2 comments:

Brenda in IN said...

What a nasty storm you had. We had thunderstorms come through with lots of heavy rain last night and during the night but no damage that I know of. The beans sound good. I always sprinkle a pinch of baking soda over my bowl and mix it in and rarely have any trouble. Maybe that will help. Hope you get to go on your tour. The humidity here is so bad it's hard to be outside.

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Hi Brenda....thanks on the beans, I shall have to try some baking soda cause I would have to hate not enjoying these guys for fear of gasieous emissions....lol. I noticed in my recipe, I forgot the honey - 1/4 cup. Gosh, hope no one tried this yet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails