Sunday, July 26, 2015

My 1st Blue Apron Meal

Hi there everyone. Sorry I have been a little "missing in action" lately. Last Sunday I came down with some stomach virus again. Guess the ulcer was bothering me again. 

Then Monday JP had his 4 teeth removed and was layed up for 2 days convalescing and taking care of his jaw. Which has been black and blue for a couple of days. He is finally eating today, solid foods and yes, he did eat today's meal I made from Blue Apron.

By Wednesday, he was able to take me to the clinic to get my first eye surgery. I was a little nervous to say the least and almost did not follow through with it as I was still dealing with stomach cramps. I finally decided to go through with it and now I am glad I did. I can see out of one eye clearly, the other is blurry. So typing this post is quite the challenge for me, cause I have to lean in to see the screen every now and then.....so far so good. Will be doing eye drops 4 x a day for the next several weeks....I can handle that if it means seeing better.

Thursday was my 1st Blue Apron delivery, which did not show up at my door step till almost 7:00 pm. It was delivered by a neighbor on the next block. The box sat on her porch for an hour.....(she said.) Gosh, I hope that does not happen again. The right address was on the box....but the delivery guy missed delivering it by one block. I shall have to let Blue Apron know.

By the time the box came, I opened it....was not supposed to lift anything, or bend down past the heart.....geez!!! Took everything out of the box and put what needed to go in the refrigerator and what could sit on the counter....that's where it sat.

So this is the first meal I made today. It was actually a lot of fun. I did add another pepper to the recipe. This recipe made quite a bit of rice and beef stuffing. Gosh, it was so very good. The recipe card comes with step by step directions....and I actually did follow the recipe pretty much to the Tee. The only thing that was spoiled was the tomato paste they put in a container. I will tell them about that also. I did have a tube of tomato paste in the fridge.

I learned an interesting thing, when sauteing the onions and garlic to the right consistency and browning the meat....the tomato paste and cumin is added to the onions....I never though to do that before....a must try again. Then mix the meat, rice, currents and pumpkin seeds together. Yes, this is a "must do again" meal.
So then in this picture is what it is supposed to look like.
In these two pictures is what my stuffed Poblano pepper looks like. I should have added a few cilantro leaves to it....but I mixed it all in the lime-crema sauce which really added something special to these peppers. And the peppers....were not as spicy as I thought....maybe I might buy them and make this dish again. JP really liked it and actually had a second helping....guess he is ready to eat solid foods now.

My next meal will be "Summer Soba Salad with Corn and Soy-Mirin Dressing" and the 3rd meal is "Vietnamese Chicken wings with Lemongrass Brown Rice" that should be fun, I will learn how to use a lemongrass for cooking, which I have always wondered about. I am not sure if I mentioned, all the food you need to make these delicious meals comes all packed in a box and ice...so it stays cool most of the day if you have a late delivery, like I did.

I have been wanting to go to the next level in cooking and making different things....this just might help me get there. Here is the Blue Apron Website if you would like to find out more. I may do this just for the summer....just to get some new ideas. There are a few other companies out there. If you are on Facebook and "like" Blue Apron....suddenly you have other companies that do the same. Some charge more though, so you have to be careful.
Thought I would add a picture of my newest hibiscus plant I just bought at Shopko. Hopefully I can nurse this one through the winter also. Need to transplant her before the first frost. (oh uge...did I just say that???)
Well hope you have a nice rest of the Sunday. Once it gets a little bit darker, I shall walk Kylie....too bright for my eye right now. Take care and keep looking up. Cheers ~ Louise

8 comments:

Steve Finnell said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brenda in IN said...

I'm so happy it went well for you. It is hard to see until both eyes are done. Then you won't have one fine and one blurry! It will get better. I still have a hard time in bright sunlight. I hope the food continues to be great. It sure is nice to have everything right there and no shopping.

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Hi Brenda, Thanks for your encouragement on the eyes. good to know someone who has gone through it. I have been walking Kylie in the late evening, so no sun shine in my eyes. Yes, this is fun to have the food come to the house...really nice menus.

Patricia said...

I've been curious about what you would be getting in the Blue Apron box. Your dinner sounds and looks delicious. I think it's good that you'll have the recipes for future use. I hope you post more of your experiences with this. It sounds intriguing.

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Hi Patricia, Yes it was delish and I do think that I will do it again. Tonight is the summer soba salad. It is really warm tonight so I really don't feel like making the kitchen warm. I probably will post the recipes on my blog as I go along....hope you enjoy and maybe even try a few.

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

I forgot to add, you can go to their site and find the recipe and it gives you the directions.

Patricia said...

Yes, I found the recipe and looked around their site for a little while earlier today. I liked that they use a few ingredients that we aren't familiar with.

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Hi Patricia, the Summer Soba Salad was delish...another recipe that I will do again.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails