Saturday, October 4, 2014

I Made SomeTortillas

Hi there everyone. Hope you enjoyed this Saturday...it was a little dreary, a little rainy and about 45 degrees. The sun popped out a couple of times, but not for long. It was one of those days that I felt like making something. Probably should have gone downstairs and made a few cards....but I decided to make some tortillas. This is a first in my books...never thought to do this, it was one of those fun things to do for a dreary day. Here is the link that I went to and followed the recipe (almost) to the tee. Recipe Well as you can see I took some pictures, sort of a short tutorial to mark my experience in tortilla making. 

Well, as usual I got my picture turned sideways, but you get the drift. After mixing all the ingredients together (flower, baking powder, salt, oil and warm water), knead the dough till it is smooth and elasticity, let it rest for 5 minutes giving the baking powder a chance to work. Then cut in half, then half it again. As you see in this next picture. I got 8 pieces, but you can even cut them in half again if you are just make regular sized tortillas. I am making "Pizza" tortillas. This is my favorite way to make a crisp cracker like crust. Mmmmm so good.
So I rolled out each piece of dough then placed the tortilla in a hot pan, browned on one side then flipped it over to brown some more. One by one I finished them, let them cool and started another tortilla.
Here, if you can see closely are all the tortillas, sitting on each other and cooling.
Here is one of the finished products. My "South of the Border" Pizza. It was so yummy. I spread the tortilla crust with some refried black beans, topped with pepperoni  and on pretty heirloom tomato and topped with kale or spinach and cheddar cheese. After baking at 425 degrees for about 5 minutes or until the crust is browned around the edges. Then I sprinkled some multi colored tortilla strips on top for that extra crunch.
I think these are pretty healthy pizzas, not sure what the calorie content is, well, I will see what the numbers are tomorrow morning when I weigh myself and check my blood sugars. (uge, one of my unfavorite things to do.)

Well, time to close this blog for today....you all take care and keep looking up. Cheers ~ Louise

5 comments:

Donna said...

That looks yummy! I have never made tortillas myself, but I've had freshly made ones before at Mexican restaurants, and they are delish! Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and for your nice comments on my "Castle in the Cloud" post!!

Patricia said...

Aren't fresh tortillas delicious.
I've had them at a relatives house in Hermosillo, Mexico. Ophelia made them outside cooking them on a dome shaped metal piece that was over a wood burning barrel. It was delicious, and she made tortillas every other day or so. This was the summer I graduated from highs school and lived with our missionary relatives for three months. It was wonderful, and those tortillas were the best I've ever tasted.

NanaDiana said...

Wow! I have never made homemade tortillas! Yours look wonderful and what a great idea to use them as a pizza base. xo Diana

Attic Clutter said...

oh wow Louise
looks sosoooo
good (:)
hugs.patty

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Hi all....finished up the last of them yesterday...time to make some more!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails