Tuesday, September 12, 2017

So Many Tomatoes........and Hurricanes.

Hi there everyone.....hope you all are having a good week. Yesterday Habitat for Humanity came to put up our fence.....I sure do love it. I took a lot of "before" and "after" pictures of the fences. That will be my next post in a few days.

So yes....I have been busy this past week....cleaning things up in the back yard to get it ready for the new fence. This Saturday, the Habitat people are going to paint the floor of my front porch. So I have to clean the porch of the lawn chairs, tables and fountain. I will probably spray the porch down to get the dust off. So just a little bit more work to go.
In between the cleaning, my tomato plants have been producing an abundance of tomatoes....I have been amazed.
In this picture I am drying some tomatoes....my first batch, I seasoned the tomatoes with salt and pepper. The second batch was a sandwich seasoning.....the third batch....just salt. Oh my, the tomatoes are delish....like candy. I might dry some more tomatoes tomorrow.
In the picture below is some salsa....chopped up tomatoes, peppers, onions, 1 teaspoon cilantro, 1 teaspoon taco seasoning and mixed together. I added some cheese to the salsa which was good too. Sooooo good. I just may make some more salsa this weekend. I should can some too.
Here's a peek at the tomatoes in different stages of ripeness.
I still want to make some canned spaghetti sauce, along with canning just plain tomatoes. I am having lots of fun with my tomatoes. Tonight I had a plain tomato sandwich with mayo on toast. So good. A tomato Quiche is on the agenda to make yet....maybe tomorrow for breakfast.

I am so sorry for and have prayed for those that suffered in Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. So much devastation. I can't imagine what it was like. Tornado's are scary, but a hurricane sounds even more scarier. To lose everything, no money, water, electric, housing, food.....sad.  Leaving your home to evacuate and not know if you will have a home to come back to. I don't know, so hard. Maybe Wisconsin is not so bad when it comes to weather....snow and cold, I will take it.

Well time to close. The weather is supposed to be really nice this week....summer has come back. 85 degrees on Saturday....I will let the Habitat volunteers paint the porch....maybe I will pull a few weeds around my rose bushes.

Have a great week and talk to you soon. Keep looking up....better days are coming. Cheers ~ Louise


2 comments:

Susie said...

Louise , you sure have been eating lots of tomatoes. :):) I love seeing them in canning jars...although I myself have never canned a thing...it's to much like being a pioneer for me. LOL. But I admire people who garden and can...like my SIL. I know you will love the work that is being done at your property. Blessings, xoxo, Susie
p.s.. The victims of the hurricanes will be brave and do as much as they can ...but they will need many helping hands and dollars.

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Hi Susie....sure glad tomatoes are not fattening...except for what you marry them with I guess. I used to do a lot of canning back in the day...no I am not a pioneer lady. But I have a feeling of accomplishment when the canning is done....so pretty to look at. Oh I sure do like looking out my windows to see what the people did....so nice. It took many helping hands to even put my fence up. God bless Habitat for Humanity.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails