Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Made Some Gherkan Pickles the Other Day

Hi there everyone hope you are having a good evening. Thought I would do a short post tonight. Made some Gherkin pickles the other day.....I love these pickles. They are made from over-ripe pickles. Years ago, probably back in the 60's you could buy these pickles in the store, but I don't see them anymore. So I have made my own and they seem to have come pretty close to what I remember them being.  I used to love making a good sandwich with these pickles, I remember them being a sweet-sour taste, so with a ham and mayo on toast was sooooo delicious!!

As you can see in picture, I peel the over-ripe cucumbers, clean out the seeds and discard the seeds. Then I slice the cucumbers.
Place them in a plastic container, in salted water for 24 - 48 hours overnight on the counter, then I place them in the fridge if I see I will not be making them within those 48 hours.

After their long soak, I drain them and place them back in the plastic container.
In a pan, I add about 1/2 to 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar and about 2 cups of water....enough liquid to cover the pickles.
I then add turmeric, sugar and salt....oh and celery seed or celery salt.....then I taste, taste, taste till I get the taste I want.
The most important part of this is, to heat the liquid and seasonings to boil for a few minutes. Then pour over the pickles and let sit till the liquid cools down and can be refrigerated.

They keep in the fridge for however long they last.
TA-DA......here is what they look like when finished....yep this was a good batch of pickles!!!!

NOTE: They sure do make a good sandwich!!!

Maybe I will show you how I make my dill pickles....just made a batch tonight but did not take a picture of them.

Well time to close....JP will be home from work in about 10 minutes, so I have to get his dinner going. I made Cheese Burger Slider Casserole......now this was a delicious meal, I think he will like this one with cole slaw and beans and a few pickles from above.

Have a good night and keep looking up, better days are coming.
Cheers ~ Louise

3 comments:

Susie said...

Louise, You know how to make so many things. I love those pickles. I never can things...but my son in law does. I am sorry I have not be by lately. I just went back thru some post. I always love your beautiful cards. So talented . I loved seeing your wonderful porch . Looks like a nice neighborhood, from the picture of homes . I loved your flowers too. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Hi Susie....glad you stopped by. Oh, I have not canned these pickles yet....maybe one of these days. Thanks on the cards....yeah, this is a nice neighborhood, we've been here 25 years now.

Attic Clutter said...

Hi Louise :)
I haven't been on here much this summer.. hot here a usual
all else is fine..
enjoy your weekend
hugs

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails