Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Creamed Zucchini Soup

Hi there everyone....hope you are having a great day. Sorry I have been MIA again. For some reason August has been a tough month for JP and I. On the 27th we celebrated 45 years of marriage. I know that is a mile stone for lots of people and it should be. For us, just another day. I did buy a $5 blueberry cake and made roast beef sandwiches and potatoes in the pressure cooker. Nothing too special. No, we did not go out any place as JP is paranoid about thinking people can smell him....which no one can, he just thinks it.
So today I made this soup. Creamed Zucchini Soup. JP said it was a keeper and I should make this again. The recipe calls for just 5 ingredients...not counting the salt and pepper. Yep, that's it.

Here is the recipe:
1/2 small onion, quartered                      2 cloves garlic
3 medium zucchini, skin on and cut in large chunks
32 oz reduced sodium Swanson chicken broth or vegie
2 Tbsp reduced fat sour cream
kosher salt and black pepper to taste
fresh grated Parmesan cheese if desired for topping (opt.)

Directions:
1-Combine chicken broth, onion, garlic and zucchini in a large pot over medium heat and bring to a boil.
2-Lower heat, cover, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
3-Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender, add the sour cream and puree again until smooth.
4- Taste for salt and pepper and adjust to taste. Serve hot, topping with Parmesan cheese.

1 1/2 cups of soup has 60 calories, 10 carbs, 500 sodium...that's a lot of sodium, but you can cut that down. I think this would be good for the Keto diet.

I have been struggling along with no stove/oven. Guess it is okay. I am not in a rush to get a new one. Was thinking of an apartment size oven. That would give me more room for a small used cabinet for storage. I bought a used hot plate and a small George Foreman grill at Goodwill. Told JP we were going to live on hot dogs and hamburgers for now. He said, no problem. I will still be on the hunt for a electric fry pan. I have my eye on one....but it's at Shopko. Guess I will wait till it is marked down and I have a coupon also.

I have been dealing with a bad back for the last couple of days, oh my gosh it really hurt. Hard to walk and get around. It dawned on me today, how I did it. Moving 35 water bottles from it's skid to the bottom of the cart....my back did not start hurting till Monday. I have rubbed DoTerra's "Deep Blue", also "Deep Blue oil" "Lavender oil". In about an hour I will be taking another "Naproxen" for inflammation. One, every 12 hours....guess that is helping. At least I can get up off the bed, chair and lazy-boy with a little less pain. I may take one more day off to recup….depends on how I am feeling. I have some errands to run before Friday.

JP has decided to work part-time, so we are entering a new phase of life. Should be interesting, to say the least, and quite the challenge financially. Hopefully we will be able to continue doing the things we do. I shall have to rearrange my shopping schedule and not shop so much....that's why I said in the paragraph about hamburgers and hot dogs....our menu is going to change quite a bit.

Well, time to close here....this blog is getting toooooo long. And if you made it this far, keep looking up and here's hoping better days are coming. Cheers ~ Louise


5 comments:

Susie said...

Louise, I have never heard of this soup. LOL You are eating too healthy for me. :):) I like zucchini bread...so is that something healthy? I think of you and wondered if you have been busy making cards. I do hope you are feeling well and enjoying your summertime. It's been the hottest summer here I can remember . We had a smidgen of a cool down this evening. Blessings to you and your hubby, xoxo, Susie

Jill said...

Happy anniversary!!! Best of luck to your husband on his new job :-) That soup looks delicious! I just posted a zucchini fries recipe on my blog tonight. I highly recommend the electric skillets, I use mine all the time so quick and easy to whip up all kinds of meals! Wishing you all the best!

Blessings,
Jill

MaryH said...

Oh dear, I hate to hear about the bum back. Hope you can get the pain gone pretty fast...nothing works good when you are in pain. Thanks for sharing the zucchini soup recipe and that sounds like something I'd love! (DH wouldn't - but I'm a big soup eater, and I love cream soups). Congratulations on your 45 Milestones. Not a lot of folks make it that long these days. The way you spent your anniversary sounded lovely to me. We did 55, and didn't go out - sometimes you just want some quiet time together! On the stove replacement: in our last 3 houses, I had a cook surface, and a small tower oven. It's smaller than a regular oven and I have storage space above & below it. The cook surface is placed in the counter right next to that 'tower' with just a small space to set things being moved out of the oven. (also can set them on the cook top). We've found that works very nicely for us, and I would never want a standing stove again. Takes up too much room. Feel better real soon. Hugs (Oh yeah, partial retirement and full retirement takes a bit of getting used to. But you will!)

Connie said...

Looks like we are both suffering with our backs. Mine has been bugging me for the last two weeks. I blame it on gardening, LOL. This soup looks yummy, I have never heard of it, but want to give it a try :) Thanks for the recipe.
Keep Smiling!
Connie :)

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Thank you all....for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed the soup if you made it. The back is better, today...no telling about tomorrow. Thanks on Anniversary blessings. Louise

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails