Sunday, October 22, 2017

As Promised - JP's Racing Days

Hi there everyone.....well finally a post!!! It seems I have only been doing one post a week lately....sorry about that. Not much to talk about, I guess. Well, actually there is, but I have been lazy.....lol!
So as promised....Today's post is about JP and his racing days back in 1972 and 1973. The car above was a 69 Camaro. In the above picture he got to go around the track with the American Flag....while they played the National Anthem......no knee bending here.
In this above picture, he won the Trophy Dash on August 13, 1972. As you can see most of these pictures are part of the scrap book I have put together for JP.....it's still unfinished.....one of these days I will finish it.
In this picture above JP won the Waukegan Short Track 50 lapper. I think that night he collected $400 in winnings.....gosh we thought we were rich!!!!! And it all went back into the car.
The car 169 was recycled into the above car.....#7....pretty snazzy huh??? Yep, it was a good thing we had pictures taken of the car before we went out racing that night. Because it seems everyone was out  after JP Gatti and car #7, cause it got pretty beat up that night. As a matter of fact, one of the Drivers did not like JP and punched him in the eye one night. AND to top that off....his wife wanted to beat me up too......though, she never touched me. Good thing.....I had too much spunk back then.
Another Race Won on July 7.....how apropos.....#7 wins on 7/7/73!!!!!
Here we are....JP Gatti battling with #64 George Dukas the "EYE Puncher" I think this was the night JP got punched and was taken to the hospital. Dukas thought JP had deliberately spun him out....tempers flare on the track and in the pits!!!!
Here we are, JP and Louise. JP just won the Track Championship for 1973......weren't we a cute couple???? Yep, those were the days. JP ended his racing days that year....he saw one friend killed and another friend ended up in the hospital when a tire flew in the air from a racing car on the track, hitting him in the head.

So there you have it....a trip down memory lane. I do have lots more pictures that I could show you.....but these are the only ones for now that I have scanned into my computer.

I shall close here for now....you all have a great week and keep looking up....better days are coming. Cheers ~ Louise

7 comments:

NanaDiana said...

I love this post, Louise. I had a long term relationship with a stock car racer, too, years ago -back in the early 70s. I love that picture of the two of you. You are both just gorgeous people. How the heck did we get this old, Louise? lol
Have a wonderful week- xo Diana

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Hi Diana.....awwww thanks, I don't know how we got this old, seems like only yesterday doesn't it??? Well. I am going to put this post of Facebook and see what happens, some people don't even know we led this kind of life....now they will.

Biz said...

I've always loved that picture of you and J.P.!

THANK YOU so much for the beautiful card you sent Hannah and Jacob - that was so thoughtful to think of them!

Hugs and Love, Biz

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Hi Biz....you are welcomed. Glad they liked it. Thanks on the picture of JP and I. It's almost Monday and time to see what you were up to this weekend. Hope you have a great week.

Brenda in IN said...

What a fun trip down memory lane. The time has flown by and I don't know where those years have gone. It is fun to go through the old pictures and remember. I love that you are making him a scrapbook.

Evelyn Mayfield said...

I only know you from your blog but what an exciting time that must have been! I always had crushes in the 50s (my own heydey) on hot rodders and loved stock car races and drag races and anything related to car racing.

What a cute couple you two made, and I'm sure, still are! Thanks so much for sharing those memories with those of us who have never met you...

Unknown said...

Fantastic article goods from you. bloom tattoos

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails