Wednesday, August 30, 2017

My Bumper Crop of Tomatoes

Hi there everyone......well, I've been kinda busy with my tomatoes. That's why I have been missing for awhile. These two bushes of Beef Steak Tomatoes have produced an abundance of tomatoes. Oh and so delicious....nothing like a fresh tomato from the garden.
So many things to make with my tomatoes. I want to can some tomatoes in the next few days. I've put a large bag of tomatoes in the freezer...maybe will do another bag for soups during the winter.
I am planning on dehydrating some tomatoes and maybe put some oil and seasonings on them and let they dry. I will take pictures after the drying process. Maybe I could grind them into powder and use as a seasoning. Just thinking about this process right now.
 I have made a few salads with the tomatoes. Tonight I had the salad, mixed with bacon and ranch dressing....yum that was good. I want to make a crustless tomato and spinach Quiche. I found the recipe in a magazine at the Doctor's office. So....this recipe is on the agenda to make soon.
Oh and then there are the BLT's.....so, so good! Tomato Soup was the first thing I made with my tomatoes.....oh and on the agenda is some tomato sauce too and then maybe can the sauce. The ideas are just endless, aren't they? I have been looking at "Tomato Jam" recipes, that sounds like fun too!!
These tomatoes were just so perfect....hardly any blemishes on these tomatoes. It most definitely was a good year for tomatoes and I most definitely will be planting Beef Steak Tomatoes next year also.

Another recipe I want to try and will give you the recipe here. I've have not tried it yet, but I can tell it will be really good.

Parmesan Oven Roasted Tomatoes:
3 large ripe tomatoes, halved
1 slice of bread or 3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons of fresh herbs, (parsley, basil and oregano) or 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil & dill)
salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat oven 400 degrees. Using a blender or magic bullet, process the bread into fresh breadcrumbs. In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, cheese, garlic, olive oil, herbs, salt and pepper. Toss until well mixed.

Place sliced tomatoes in a shallow baking dish, season with salt and pepper, Top with breadcrumb mixture. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until crumbs are lightly browned. Be sure not to over bake so the tomatoes don't become mushy.

Another think I have been doing with my tomatoes is just slicing them and putting mozzarella on them and cooking along with my eggs in the morning.....soooooooo.good.

So there you have it, my tomato post, hope you enjoyed every bite of my tomatoes!!! Have a great evening and enjoy the last day of August tomorrow....where did this summer go??????

Tomato Cheers ~ Louise



1 comment:

Brenda in IN said...

Beautiful crop of tomatoes! I'm glad you are putting some up and really taking advantage of having them year round.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails